Before founding Shenker Russo & Clark LLP, Theresa Russo worked for Wilson Elser’s Government Relations practice and headed the firm’s Hospitality practice. She has helped clients throughout New York State and New York City with Alcohol Beverage licensing and lobby law compliance, and has become one of the state’s leading attorneys in those areas. Previously Theresa worked in the New York City Legislative Office under former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and with former Governor David A. Paterson during his tenure as deputy minority leader of the New York State Senate.
Theresa’s lobbying experience gives her deep insight into her clients’ most challenging legal issues and help her formulate creative solutions by negotiating, litigating or changing laws and regulations. Great client service is the law for Theresa, who ensures her team’s accessibility and expects phone calls and emails to be returned promptly.
Over the course of her career, she has provided legal services to restaurants, bars, hotels, caterers, cruise lines, liquor stores, wholesalers and other businesses on a broad array of liquor law issues. Theresa has also helped businesses navigate the often complex liquor licensing process, providing her clients with peace of mind and significant savings in time and money.
Theresa has served as a lobby law compliance officer for more than a decade, providing guidance to the firm and its clients on a wide spectrum of issues and acting as in-house lobby law counsel to many companies in New York State ̶ training employees, establishing systems for capturing and reporting lobbying activity, and representing clients in audits and investigations.
She routinely interfaces with the Joint Commission on Public Ethics (JCOPE) and the Office of the City Clerk in New York City.
- New York
Memberships & Affiliations
- Alliance of Alcohol Industry Attorneys and Consultants
- National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals, Associate Member and Advisory Board Member
- National Association of Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Attorneys
- New York State Bar Association
- Saratoga Sparks, Secretary of the Board
Awards & Distinctions
- Rising Stars, City & State’s 2013 40 Under 40
- Voted 2014 Most Valuable Member of the National Association of Licensing and Compliance Professionals
- Albany Law School, J.D., 1998
- University at Albany, B.A., 1995, cum laude
Personal and Community Service
Theresa lives in Albany with her daughter Tori and niece Lonnie.